What do you think this is a dress rehersal?

“The real fun of life is in overcoming obstacles while still happily hoping everything will work out. … "

Friday, April 16, 2010

Buying in Bulk

It seems foolish that single girl, cooking for one, should buy the family size of everything from spinach to toilet paper . . . but I do. Why is it that walking out of the store with an extra big bag of frozen blueberries where I save 3 cents per ounce feels like a major accomplishment? Now I'm not sure where all this bulk satisfaction comes from, but there is a distinctly satisfying feeling to see my freezer chocked full. Today it was a bag of stir fry.

Now let it be known, I'm not a member of Sam's club or Costco, yet some how I keep being drawn back to the family isle where everything comes in big size. Maybe its coming from a big family, or maybe the savings or maybe its just knowing that I have enough food to feed everyone I have ever met if they should all come over at once. I am prepared. (That is if people like blueberry spinach shakes and chicken with broccoli - after all they don't sell everything in bulk.)

I think this could be a genetic disease. My sister has four crock pots and uses all of them, frequently more than one at once. Or maybe its a disease by association, my roommate has an extra freezer for her frozen foods, or maybe its just instincts of a college student- Buy lots of food before finals weeks to prepare for the long haul.

No matter the reason, I walk out of the grocery store with my bags bulging, fill up the trunk of my car and feel satisfied. I'm ready to feed the world! I only hope they're prepared for it.

1 comment:

  1. YAY for bulk buying! That's what the coupon queen says too! Buy in bulk when it's on sale (+coupons ;) I do that too...buy extra food JUST IN CASE I get to feed people. lol Good to know I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete