What do you think this is a dress rehersal?

“The real fun of life is in overcoming obstacles while still happily hoping everything will work out. … "

Monday, April 19, 2010

A Rita Girl


I just finished watching Driving Miss Daisy. I can't believe it took me this long to see it because it comes so highly recommended.
It made me think of people that I've cared for, especially Rita. There is something difficult and beautiful about allowing people to serve you, and she didn't always want it or allow our service very gracefully. But I don't think I would have either.
Who would want people living in your house, making decisions about what you eat, wear and when you get to take a nap, after all.
But I still remember the way she said thank you despite her frustration, loved getting her back scratched, enjoyed my poor piano playing every time, and could do the best rooster imitation. Its a gift to live so gracefully. And she had that gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment